[rescue] In Realtime: Saving 25,000 Manuals ?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Aug 18 12:11:28 CDT 2015

In article <C0700CDB-F1DD-4D47-AAB9-7549C4D237A7 at gmail.com>,
    Rjtoegel <rjtoegel at gmail.com> writes:

> Oh we'll, it was an idea. Maybe when budgets were higher they did take more.

All museums (including my own and the CHM) are very selective about
what they take.  Basically there isn't room to store everything and
while initially you may be willing to take all sorts of things,
eventually you run out of space and budget.  Everything a museum takes
into it's collection represents an expenditure stream into the future.
Every artifact needs to be maintained, preserved, restored, etc.

The best thing you can do to help Jason Scott rescue these manuals is
to donate some money (no matter how little) to him via paypal
(paypal is jason at textfiles.com)[1].  I've contributed a lump sum myself.
If you live in the Baltimore area, make yourself known to him so that
you can help out over time with moving the stuff from temporary
storage and whatnot.  I'm too far away to help physically.

I'm sure that the plan is to scan all the stuff and hosted on either
archive.org or bitsavers.org and some might end up in both.  (Replication
is good.)  Not everything is relevant for bitsavers as much of it is
test and measurement electronics documentation and bitsavers focuses
on computer documentation.

[1] <http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/4711>