[rescue] In Realtime: Saving 25,000 Manuals ?

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Mon Aug 17 12:21:08 CDT 2015

Bob wrote:

>I tried to leave a comment to the effect of  didn't anyone think of the
>Smithsonian?  They'll take anything.  Just don't know if they'll let
>outsiders scan and digitize the stuff but they might allow volunteers to do
>it.  Better than a dumpster.
>
>Bob
>On Aug 15, 2015 7:03 AM, "Liam Proven" <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/4683

Actually they won't.  I have a friend locally who just donated something
fairly $$ sizable to the Smithsonian recently.  They are pretty selective
in what they take.

Jason Scott - who is doing this, is the software archivist for the Internet
Archive.  I've seen him speak multiple times (and actually spent a good
deal of time with him, since I was the speaker coordinator for VCF SE
last year when he came to speak).   His latest post shows that the $$ came
in for storage, he just needs bodies.  The place that has these manuals
use to be old-manuals.com or some such, that sold old manuals.  He's
been talking to them for a year or so on this..  They're working today and
tomorrow on the effort I believe...

Earl

P.S. BTW, what the friend was donating was an Apple 1 (they didn't have
one...).