[rescue] Help! Spilled pop in my Sun type 7 keyboard

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Tue Aug 11 09:50:50 CDT 2015

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015, Jerry Kemp wrote:

> I spilled about a quarter of a can of Rock Star in my Sun type 7 keyboard.
>
> Aside from the standard comments, I'm wondering if anyone here has
> disassembled one of these for cleaning or repair.

    I've cleaned my type 7 a few times, but it's been a while since
the I last cleaned it.

    It's not too bad. two screws and then pop the front cover off
starting at one of the corners.

    Three more screws on the inside and using a flat head screwdriver
or a small knife blade you'll need to push in each of the slots in the
back until you get the key cover off.

    You can soak the keys to get the soda off an lightly wash the
rest.

    If you need to clean the plastic film below remove it carefully,
it can rip pretty easily.

    Let everything dry, check the keys to make sure they move
freely, if not soak them again.

    Putting it back together should be easy.

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Atheist: A person who doesn't need imaginary friends"

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."

"MicroSoft Windows - Running our defences until they all bluescreen during the Cylon attack..."