[rescue] Whither Solaris 10

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Apr 28 17:21:58 CDT 2015

On 04/28/2015 06:01 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> SCO was very successful selling into non-technical vertical markets. There are
> likely countless thousands of SCO servers and the folks using them likely have
> no idea what they are running.
>
> I know Burlington coat factory had SCO in their stores for years, and U-Haul
> franchises had SCO in their shops, etc.

  One of the only bits of work I got when I lived in FL was replacing
the IT infrastructure of a small party store chain.  They were running
on very old (Pentium-I) SCO servers, using a home-grown inventory
management/POS system.  It was actually really nice.

  The hardware was, of course, failing left and right.  They were dead
set against moving away from their software because they liked it and it
did everything they needed, so I virtualized the SCO servers (VMware can
be coerced to provide a configuration that SCO Openserver-V likes),
replaced their POS terminals (Windows XP boxes) with Sun Rays back-ended
by Linux, and they're still running it all to this day...now it's just a
bit more future-proofed.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ