[rescue] Picked up an IBM / Tadpole RS6000/N40, xinit hangs system.

Ian Finder ian.finder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 18:12:34 CDT 2014

Thank you very much to everyone who responded!

I now have media for Tadpole AIX, so I'm gonna fresh install to a
different hard drive to see if X works on a stock install. With this,
onto the next hurdle: This thing doesn't want to boot off any of the
SCSI CDROM drives I've tried-- which is quite a few. They show up as
"UNKNOWN CDROM" in the rom menu, but it doesn't seem to try and access
any of them after the scsi bus is reset at boot time.

Any tricks?

Also the LCD in this has seen better days-- I think it's the same as
in the SparcBook 3 (640x480) but not the 3GXes I have on hand
(800x600) so if anyone has a broken SparcBook 3 to sell, or would
consider trading a 3GX for a 3 so that I may keep a compatible
replacement LCD on hand, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks again to Andy, Gaz, and Michael for the extensive amount of
resources on this otherwise poorly documented piece of esoteria!

- Ian