[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 25 13:19:26 CDT 2014

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Richard wrote:

>>     Getting code to run under MSVC may well be one of the "pinnacle"
>> challenges given the "liberties" that M$ takes with standards.
>
> Sorry, but this just isn't true.  Seriously.  I work in C++ every day
> and I follow very closely what the compiler vendors are doing.  As far
> as the C++ standard is concerned, MSVC is a very compliant compiler.

This has also been my experience.  I've not used MSVC very much since it
got C++11-compliant, but the portability woes always come from assuming
POSIX-type threading or I/O (or X-style graphics) rather than the
underlying core logic of the code.

However, once you get that done, you have a nicely portable library with
Windows and Unix front-ends.  Adding more is only an incremental
difficulty.

This stuff isn't hard, but it does take patience, and it makes your code
better.

> This is amazingly easy if you stick to standard C++ and use abstractions
> like Boost and CMake to isolate you from platform specific code.  (Hint:
> there's more of it in your code than you thought because you always
> assumed the whole universe was POSIX.)

Really, I just use the VC project builder tools.  At least with Windows,
there are very few configuration differences across deployments.
I batch-build and call it done.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "Do the difficult things while they are easy and do
Elgin, TX         |  the great things while they are small."