[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Wed Jun 25 11:13:27 CDT 2014

In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.1406242108400.23921 at zephyr.cacm.org>,
    "Carl R. Friend" <crfriend at rcn.com> writes:

>     Getting code to run under MSVC may well be one of the "pinnacle"
> challenges given the "liberties" that M$ takes with standards.

Sorry, but this just isn't true.  Seriously.  I work in C++ every day
and I follow very closely what the compiler vendors are doing.  As far
as the C++ standard is concerned, MSVC is a very compliant compiler.

Maybe you are confusing POSIX compatability with C++ compatability.

MSVC has never cared much about POSIX compatability for the simple
reason that their heritage isn't POSIX.

> But,
> if you can get it to not just build, but WORK, in a nominal UNIX
> world and the M$ world you're doing better than most.

This is amazingly easy if you stick to standard C++ and use
abstractions like Boost and CMake to isolate you from platform
specific code.  (Hint: there's more of it in your code than you
thought because you always assumed the whole universe was POSIX.)