[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever? WAS:::Re: What to do with the SS20

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jun 25 02:14:06 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 05:19:18PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
[...]
> Yeah, and I love you, too. What's your point? You believe I'm wrong in hoping
> that there are other software authors that care about who holds their master
> copy? I know of at least one (many-person) project that takes that stance,
> insisting on hosting their own repo. You think it's irrelevant to the
> discussion? When looking for software, I don't see it as irrelevant to point
> out that a central repo hosting service may lack stuff _because_ it's a
> central repo hosting service.

You do know that git is *distributed* and so there is no requirement for a
single central repository? If the directory name ends in .git and you can
access it through a protocol git understands, you can use it as a repository.

I don't use Github as my central repository. The canonical version is arguably
the .git directory in the actual source tree. I push copies to a dedicated
server that hosts my remote repositories as a backup. I've not actually
*configured* a git server: it's just a bunch of *.git directories and my local
git tunnels over ssh and drives the remote git in much the same way that rsync
does without having to configure a rsync server.

If I wish to make the project public, I'll *also* push a courtesy copy to
Github because that's where people expect to see it, and that suits me just
because otherwise I'd have to faff around with paying for and configuring my
own hosting. If Github vanished tomorrow, I'd not be at all inconvenienced.