[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Jun 24 20:52:20 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 06:42:12PM -0400, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> The BSDs don't count as they're being left out.  GNOME3 for instance
> is gaining systemd /dependencies/.  Systemd is very linux-specific
> Poettering-ware.

This may be off-topic for this list but ...

... at least FreeBSD is doing its best to keep up.

Currently the FreeBSD ports count is 24471 if you believe my count
(http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsoverall.py) or 24479 if you believe
Dan Langille's count (http://www.freshports.org).

The area where it's hardest to keep up is x11.  The drivers are growing
dependencies on new hardware abstractions.  We've had to rely on funded
projects to close the gap.

Possibly of more interest to the list is that FreeBSD decided 3-4 years
ago that "clang is going to be the future".  The ports tree has now been
switched to clang by default.  As we have gone through the suffering
trying to get the ports working on clang, we have tried to upstream the
patches.

There are still hundreds of ports that will only (and probably will
ever only) work on gcc, but we have eliminated all but a handful of ports
that only build on gcc4.2.

So, the state of many projects on clang may be much better than many
folks think.

mcl