[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Jun 24 17:42:12 CDT 2014

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, Andrew Jones wrote:

> In 2014 we have:
> - two extremely common UNIX-like platforms: Linux and OSX.

Both of which suffer from elitism, poor team setups, pointless licensing
disputes...and overall poor quality control.

The BSDs don't count as they're being left out.  GNOME3 for instance is
gaining systemd /dependencies/.  Systemd is very linux-specific
Poettering-ware.

> - two extremely common CPU archs: x86_64 and ARM

Everyone also seems to implement ARM in slightly different ways, too.

> - two extremely common compilers: gcc and clang

It was one common compiler for a long time.  I am happy to have clang
around so I can finally have a free software OS.

> Given a thoughtlessly-written C codebase, the further away you are from a
> permutation of those six items, the less pleasant your day will be.
>
> It's certainly not a monoculture.  It's just not the same ecosystem we had
> twenty years ago.

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects