[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever? WAS:::Re: What to do with the SS20

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Tue Jun 24 19:50:33 CDT 2014

In article <CAL4LZyj0eJjZKk796i3BLDsm_9Es7OeWKYew90gq1rL3Zc5b=Q at mail.gmail.com>,
    John Floren <john at jfloren.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> > In article <CAL4LZyggNhVGBmj30YyExePcYUL-vZ68UdkixJ5v-9Uh0VAT3w at mail.gmail.
com>,
> >     John Floren <john at jfloren.net> writes:
> >
> >> This is because autotools are rubbish.
> >
> > I'm warming up to CMake (which is what clang uses).
>
> CMake is a *beast*, and it does even more magic than configure. Once
> you get the magic arranged properly, it seems to work ok.

This book made sense of it, even though it has weaknesses as a book:
<http://amzn.to/1mlv2hO>

> I've always had good luck with just plain old Makefiles.

They are ok for small projects, but CMake/autotools is more about
dependency management than it is about building.  CMake doesn't even
do building, it always delegates the build work to someone else.
(ninja, anyone?)