[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever? WAS:::Re: What to do with the SS20

John Floren john at jfloren.net
Tue Jun 24 18:03:57 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> In article <CAL4LZyggNhVGBmj30YyExePcYUL-vZ68UdkixJ5v-9Uh0VAT3w at mail.gmail.com>,
>     John Floren <john at jfloren.net> writes:
>
>> This is because autotools are rubbish.
>
> I'm warming up to CMake (which is what clang uses).

CMake is a *beast*, and it does even more magic than configure. Once
you get the magic arranged properly, it seems to work ok.

I've always had good luck with just plain old Makefiles. You have a
Makefile.linux and a Makefile.solaris and a Makefile.freebsd and then
a generic Makefile.unix that any other weird people can try as a
baseline, and it generally just works pretty well. For instance I've
compiled this version of the sam editor on quite a few different
systems: http://jfloren.net/sam.tgz

You can also look at how Russ Cox's Plan 9 Ports does it, very simple
compilation and installation of a huge suite of programs done with a
script.

john