[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Tue Jun 24 16:56:40 CDT 2014

On 06/24/2014 05:35 PM, Carl R. Friend wrote:

>     I will posit that it'd be easier to get a well-written program that
> was designed in the past 20 years for portability across multiple
> platforms will compile better on Linux than the other way 'round.  Back
> then, see, there were multiple usable competing platforms, all of which
> offerred compelling points to them; nowadays, in the monoculture of
> Intel and Linux, everything looks like a GNU and GCC is notoriously
> sloppy about what sorts of code it accepts.  Hell, lint isn't even
> offerred!

In 2014 we have:
- two extremely common UNIX-like platforms: Linux and OSX.
- two extremely common CPU archs: x86_64 and ARM
- two extremely common compilers: gcc and clang

Given a thoughtlessly-written C codebase, the further away you are from
a permutation of those six items, the less pleasant your day will be.

It's certainly not a monoculture.  It's just not the same ecosystem we
had twenty years ago.