[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Tue Jun 24 16:35:18 CDT 2014

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, Richard wrote:

> If you are talking about building it for use in some vintage
> environment, then your problems are one of porting, not building.
>
> Most modern software does not build in a vintage environment.
>
> Most vintage software does not build in a modern environment.

    I will posit that it'd be easier to get a well-written program that
was designed in the past 20 years for portability across multiple
platforms will compile better on Linux than the other way 'round.  Back
then, see, there were multiple usable competing platforms, all of which
offerred compelling points to them; nowadays, in the monoculture of
Intel and Linux, everything looks like a GNU and GCC is notoriously
sloppy about what sorts of code it accepts.  Hell, lint isn't even
offerred!

    Cheers!