[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever? WAS:::Re: What to do with the SS20

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Mon Jun 23 13:08:00 CDT 2014

On 06/23/14 01:29 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:

> Agreed. freshmeat used to be one of the first best places to look for neat
> open source projects. And agreed, sourceforge has gone from bad to worse.
> I'm really surprised that a giant resource like freshmeat could go away
> without somebody or some group stepping in to save it.

Its almost like they wanted for it to silently slip away.  As quietly as they
did it.

Freshmeat had done a site redesign several years back.  It wasn't that bad, but
it wasn't as user friendly as the previous design.   At, or around the same
time, they began to offer to email out the daily updates via a mailing list.

I signed up for that, and only visited the actual site if I needed something.

I am sure that from some perspective, the email mailing list announcements
subtracted from previous traffic levels.

Jerry