[rescue] Trying to rescue a Sun Ultra 45

Sean Tedio seantedio at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 23:26:01 CST 2014

So I got the original memory. I unplugged all the power connectors
other than those to the motherboard. and disconnected the black
connector to the fan assembly. I connected via serial using the manual
parameters. Powered up the system and...

Success.. the system output over serial and is currently staying on. I
didn't get a hard drive for it so it doesn't find a boot device, but
it is staying on.

So I decided to push my luck... I plugged in the graphics cards fans
everything except hard drives (since they were removed). I get to the
ok prompt on the monitor now.

So I try to run post from the ok prompt. Immediately disconnects me
from my serial connection. Then I found out if I reconnect quickly I
can see the post status as it's running. I did a "post max max"  which
output:

0>INFO:
0>      POST Passed all devices.
0>
0>POST: Return to OBP.

So according to the manual post passed. Is there any other diagnostics
I can run before I get a hard drive in this thing and attempt to
install an OS?

Thank you all very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

-Sean