[rescue] Trying to rescue a Sun Ultra 45

mc68010 mc68010 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 11:23:20 CST 2014

On 1/14/2014 8:53 AM, Sean Tedio wrote:
> I have acquired a Sun Ultra 45workstation. The Sun part number is
> A89-XHZB1-9AF-1GDT. I felt the junk heap was an improper end for such
> a fine machine and so I decided to bring it home.
>
> Short Story:
> The machine powers on for a few seconds and then turns off. I have a
> number of LEDs on the motherboard and I'm wondering if there is any
> way to obtain diagnostic information from them.

I have had a very similar behavior happen on two sunblade 2500 and in
both cases reseating the CPUs fixed it. They tend to come loose in
shipping or being moved around I guess. The power up and spin up fans
before shutting right down is what they would do with no CPUs installed
too. You might try that. On one of them it took a couple of reseating
before it worked again but, then it was fine forever.