[rescue] Sun Ultra 2 series PROMs

Ray Arachelian ray at arachelian.com
Fri Jan 3 20:16:18 CST 2014

On 01/03/2014 02:49 AM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>   Then, I
> removed it and soldered new wires to the battery socket off a dead PC
> motherboard. Some hotglue later and all was well.

I didn't want to futz around replacing the weird battery in my 20th
anniversary Mac, so I got a AA holder and used lithium AA's - worked
very nicely.  Trick is to get close to the target voltage and not go
over it.  You could do similar things with the EEPROM chip and make it
far easier to replace.  Plus the lithium AA's will last a lot longer
that coins, but they're 1.2V not 1.5V like alkaline AAs.

I think in that case I needed 3 batteries, not 4, so I had to short one
of the battery holders in the pack, but wetware RAM is buggy, so YMMV. :)

Something like this might work if the EEPROM chip wants something near
the 5V range:
http://www.batteryspace.com/batteryholder3xaabatteryholderwithcoverandon-offswitch-rohscompliant.aspx
You could velcro it to the inside of the machine, or even run the wires
to the outside to make it easy to replace.