[rescue] Sun Ultra 2 series PROMs

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 01:55:35 CST 2014

Hi Jonathan

I have bought several of these chips off suppliers on Ebay at around $6 each
(new) (normally China) and not had an issue with them. So long as they come up
with all 5s when started they should be unused, which means the clock has not
been running and hence the battery will have had little use, saves a whole lot
of messing around in my book.

Peter
---------------------------
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services
Tel: 01636 627990
Mbl: 07977 532320
---------------------------

On 3 Jan 2014, at 02:47, Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com> wrote:

> Hmmmmm
>
> A while back I was whinging that I had an Ultra 2 with a dead PROM battery.
> And I have the same problem with my E3000.
>
> All the old docs for sun4m and sun4c hardware discuss soldering batteries
> and patching their voltages into the various pins to keep systems alive.
> I'm working to recreate that so I can get my E3000 going (and maybe the
> Ultra 2, but I boogered up that chip.)
>
> I then took a look. The ICs for the Ultra 2 and for the E3000 IO board are
> the same. ST M48T59Y-PC1s. Although NOS of these chips exist, I doubt they
> still have good battery cells on them. Thanks to Google, we can find the
> pinouts.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/394698/STMICROELECTRONICS/M48
T59Y-70PC1.html