[rescue] Some thoughts on our hobby..

Ian King IanK at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Fri Nov 8 14:16:27 CST 2013

Another way to look at this: now when someone finds an old machine in the
closet or attic, her first reaction isn't 'how am I going to get this into the
trash bin?' but 'I wonder if someone might care about this.'  That was an
observation by one of my friends who is not a collector or even a techie
person.  Yes, it does hamper the personal collector - which I am, too.  (I
have to walk a line carefully to avoid conflicts of interest between my
personal collecting and what I do on behalf of Living Computer Museum.)  But
it usually means that someone will take it home and love it, or at least
protect it from the scrappers - even if I didn't get it.  <sniff>

Also, I think it's likely that in a few years, these prices will begin to
ease.  After you pay $$$$$ for something on ePay and then it sits in your hall
closet for a decade or so, you may think, "I'd really like that space back" or
some such.  That's when reality sets in: this stuff is NOT investment
material!  The prices may go up, but will most likely go down, especially if
you've not maintained it in running condition.   I could be wrong - I don't
have the correct fuse for my crystal ball - but I suspect the craze will
subside and prices will settle down.

Yes, Craigslist is still a good resource, but it's labor intensive.  You do
find situations where people just want 'that old thing' gone from sight.  --
Ian

Resistance is not futile.  It is voltage divided by current.
Ian S. King, Sr. Vintage Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
A presentation of Vulcan, Inc.
http://www.livingcomputermuseum.org