[rescue] Sun Documentation Numbering

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Mon Nov 4 15:20:00 CST 2013

There is some rhyme and reason to it. No dates were encoded.

XXX is usually a class of component, XXXX is the model number, and the
-XX suffix would be the revision to that board/component.

Hardware prefixed with 501- were usually system components that could
be ordered, stuff like system boards, etc. For instance, you could
have a Sun Enterprise System Board which was listed as option X2622A
was also known as 501-4884. That board would have different revisions,
like 501-4884-01, -02, etc. Individual chips would sometimes have a
370-xxxx number, but they'd be a part of a kit, which would be a
501-xxxx number. 64M would be spaced across 8x8M DIMMs. AKA X7021A aka
501-2652. Each individual chip may have a 370 or 501 number (I
forget.)

Some individual memory components and upgrades had 370- prefixes. For
instance, memory upgrade kits for an Ultra 5 are prefixed with
370-3797

540-xxxx are usually hard drives. 300-xxxx are usually power supplies.
Documentation/booklets seem to be prefixed with 805-

Also, found a mirror of Sun's old-school website:
http://totalunix.com/SunOS/Machines/e4500.spec.html

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Jason T <silent700 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Sun fans - due to my scanning efforts lately, I am starting to
> amass a good pile of Sun documentation, posted here:
>
> http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/index.php?dir=%2Fcomputing/Sun
>
> This has got me wondering - does anyone know the scheme to Sun's doc
> numbering plan?  I can see that it follows an xxx-xxxx-xx scheme but
> beyond that, I haven't detected a pattern.  I don't see any date
> encoding.  Maybe some relation to hardware vs. software or types of
> hardware, etc?  Or maybe they just generated them as they needed them?
>
> Also - is anyone aware of a master docs index for Sun?  That would be
> really handy as a checklist.
>
> -j
>

> --
> silent700.blogspot.com
> Retrocomputing and collecting in the Chicago area:
> http://chiclassiccomp.org

-Jon
Jonathan Katz, Indianapolis, IN.