[rescue] Fast Ethernet with a Sparc Classic

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri May 31 20:25:12 CDT 2013

>> 1) can an SS Classic even take a quad fast ethernet sbus card?
> if it has an sbus slot, i'd say yes.

I'd say maybe.  I've seen cards work in one machine and not in another
because one machine firmware version is prepared to handle them but the
other isn't.

Whether a Classic _can_ have firmware old enough to fail to handle a
qfe - or new enough to handle it, as the case may be - I don't know.

> isn't the qfe just 4 hmes?  that's what the onboard ethernet is.

On the Classic?  Are you sure?  I'm moderately sure all the lunchbox
machines have only 10Mbit onboard.  (I'm in the middle of a move and
most of my SPARCs are packed, or I'd fire one up and check.)

I think a qfe is 4 hmes, but it's 4 hmes in the same sbus slot, which
the ROM code may not be prepared to handle.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org