[rescue] shipping large, heavy things

Barry Callahan barryc at rjlsystems.com
Sun May 12 07:40:12 CDT 2013

FedEx, UPS, DHL all have "Freight" services in addition to their normal
package delivery offerings. Or, you can contact a Freight Forwarder as
was suggested, who will handle subcontracting one (or more) trucking
companies to pick up, transit, and deliver.

You'll want to put the thing on a pallet (or two, if you must) and strap
it down, so there's no risk of it sliding / falling off. You want to
make sure the thing is forklift / palletjack ready before the truck
shows up.

Also, if either the source or the destination address does NOT have a
truckwell, they're going to have to ensure that they dispatch a
"liftgate-equipped" truck to get it in/out, and that's going to add to
your costs, too. Trucking company's going to want to know that before
they quote.

On 5/12/2013 12:42 AM, John Floren wrote:
> Back in college, I found my school was tossing out a big old desk+rack
> system that apparently had once held an HP minicomputer. Looked a lot
> like this: http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=791
>
> When I moved away, I gave it to a friend. He's now clearing out some
> things in his house and is looking to get rid of it. I really liked
> that desk, so I'm thinking about having him ship it to me.
>
> Problem is that thing weighs a LOT and is quite large. I've never
> shipped anything that size, but when I think of shipping large, heavy
> things, I think of this list :)
>
> So, can anyone tell me the best way to ship something like this across
> the country without causing too much trouble for my friend or costing
> *too* much? I figure that a similarly large, sturdy desk could easily
> run a couple hundred bucks, so if I can get it shipped for a
> reasonable price I'll consider it a good deal.
>
> Two regrets: 1) that I didn't get the original computer that was
> inside, and 2) that I didn't have it shipped over back when my company
> was paying to move me. :)
>

> john

believed to be clean.