[rescue] OS for ZFS?

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 13:10:32 CDT 2013

As for the trust in Oracle, I wouldn't give them my money, but I think
they as a large company who many others give 100's of Millions to, I
think they're probably not going to put "bad code" in ZFS to delete
all your files or something. Now, I do want and like open source, and
thus, I'd rather use ZFS on FreeBSD or Linux, So this isn't a great
excuse on my part. But, I worry that the implementation in non-Solaris
may not be solid enough to really handle all failure cases such as
hotswap disks, checksum errors, controller issues / implementation /
drivers etc. I just want to see a more full implementation and failure
testing.

I have experienced problems and dataloss with ZFS on both Solaris and
FreeBSD. The Solaris instances were slightly more clear about what to
do next and failure cases.

Additionally, back a few years ago, the performance of Solaris SMB and
NFS on ZFS was much much better than and BSD based implementation. Not
just the filesystem -- the implementation, locking, and interaction
with ZFS. So, naturally, Solaris was a winner.

I hope that helps explain myself and why.. I'd love to be proved
wrong. :) And I'm willing to try stuff. (non production until it's
stable) :)

About NexentaStor, *Filer, *NAS: I found that some version require
management through the WEBGUI, which is OK, if it supports all
features. I got burned a few times when I wanted to do "normal" ZFS
operations just to get things working and became out of sync between
the Web DB and the OS itself.. then major pain happened. Napp-it seems
like it's good for this, since it is just a fancy shell wrapper.

Currently using Solaris 11 + napp-it.

Anyway my 2c.