[rescue] OS for ZFS?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Mar 25 12:28:17 CDT 2013

On 25 Mar 2013, at 13:19, "Joshua Snyder" <josh at imagestream.com> wrote:

> I have been very happy with using Freebsd as a Zfs based file server for
> the last few years at home.   I am also running an Open Indiana sever at
> work serving up VM images via NFS.  Cory is correct, ram usage is a big
> deal with Zfs you really want at least 1GB of ram and 4GB or more is
> ideal.  You will likely not be able to use deduplication as it basically
> requires large amounts of ram and a SSD as an L2Arc.
>
> Also, it is my understanding that you REALLY want to have a 64Bit cpu
> architecture when doing Zfs.  This might be specific to Freebsd but as I
> understand many of the file system operations are non-optimal if you
> have to use a 32bit cpu.  I know in years past using Zfs in a 32bit
> Freebsd install was basically asking for corruption.  So this might be a
> problem depending on which version of the P4 you have in the Dell.
>
> I would stay away from any Linux ports of Zfs.  Since they are all based
> on major rewrites(mostly clean-room re-implementations) of Sun's code
> due to licensing issues.  I don't think they are as solid as FreeBsd,
> Open Solaris, Open Indiana ect

ZFS on Linux (kernel-mode, not a garbage user mode implementation) seems to
have Nexenta and Sunacle copyrights in itat least in the user land utilities.
It's also CDDL-licensed so it might not be a 100% cleanroom implementation.
It's still a bit iffy though.  I could actually switch completely to a BSD
again.  Huh.  No idea why i'm using a Linux aside from the tri-NIC bonding
which I can probably do in BSD...