[rescue] Dell Mini 9 SSD?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 08:19:18 CST 2013

Steve,

I recently dug out my Mini 9 and upgraded the IDE SSD to something larger (64
Gig, IIRC) for what seemed a reasonable price. I should still have the old
part, but I can't guarantee I can lay hands on it easily (and I just started a
two week vacation).

As I recall, power adapters are cheap at Amazon (like $10 or less), and the
proper SSD is (per Gig) more expensive than other consumer SSDs because of
their rarity.

Just remember, when all is said and done, it is a slower single-core Atom w/ a
max of 2 Gig RAM and really low resolution (low enough that 'conventional'
desktop OSes struggle with it, 1024x600)... Oh, and the keyboard is sorta
'off' with some different key locations.

Sure, WinXP works fine, older Ubuntu Netbook Remix (10.4 era) works fine (as
will many other distros I'm sure), but anything a typical windows user would
want will struggle with that screen, and I'm not sure your typical user is
comfortable doing pan and zoom to work with the computer.

All that being said, my 'shelf queen' Dell Mini 9 did get an upgrade (SSD, new
battery) because I like the device in spite of (or because of?) it's
limitations. If you can wait, I'm happy to look for my original SSD which I'd
be happy to donate to your group, otherwise eBay might yield up a reasonable
small capacity SSD you could use.

Good luck,

Lionel