[rescue] 13w3 video adapter issues

rescue rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Dec 17 11:58:28 CST 2013

Watch out on that Barracuda (ST15150N).  For their time they were nice
drives, but they run HOT, HOT, HOT.  I doubt an LX will cool it enough
to have a long life and you'll likely suffer bearing failure.  I found
in the day if they were kept cool we never suffered a failure (we had
over 7 or more of them in an array on a usenet news server in the 1990s
ISP boom).

Other than for short runtime, you'll probably need to find a cooler
running drive.  Although it doesn't hurt to try, but after a period of
operation when everything should reach full temperature, shut down, pop
the top quick and check out the drive temp.

I've never dared run these directly in a pizza box or lunch box sparc.
I've always ran them in an external enclosure with plenty of airflow.

The multipack with 4 drive positions might be able to cool one or two
of those...  and the 811 enclosure for 5.25" disks should have enough
air and flow for one.  I wouldn't put one in a 411 either.

Anyone have an experience running those in a pizza box, lunchbox, 411
drive box, or multipack that can share heat/longevity experience ?

-- Curt