[rescue] Sparc Classic & IPX rescue

rescue rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Dec 16 22:28:58 CST 2013

On 2013-12-16 07:07, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Isn't there a cable that is needed to attach the card to the
> mainboard? Make
> sure any card you get includes the jumper, they were hard to find
> years ago,
> and I don't think they've become more plentiful since then...
>
> Lionel
>
>> On Dec 14, 2013, at 11:47 PM, Robert Novak <rnovak at indyramp.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> There is also an option to put the "Boris & Natasha" sbus-like
>> memory board
>> into an IPX--it was designed for the SS2 but the supplemental
>> connector is
>> on the IPX board too. Be warned that if you don't grind down your
>> power
>> supply a little bit, you may not be able to remove this memory board
>> intact. I broke one in '97 trying to remove it.

The factory cable is one of those flexible (mylar?) cables with copper
traces too.  Third party I think used regular ribbon cable (Dataram
comes to mind), but some may have used the mylar types too.  I'd assume
the cable from a third party board would work with the Sun Boris/Natasha
cards and vise versa, but I've never tested that theory.

Thankfully I have cables for the boards I have.  I don't know if they
are straight through wired or not, but as I recall there are no active
electronics, so one could probably make one once the wiring was figured
out.  If I can find mine and someone needs it, I should be able to use
my DVM to determine if it is straight through or not.

-- Curt