[rescue] Looking for an IPX OT: picture of a SLC 4/20 or ELC ?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Dec 11 16:12:02 CST 2013

Am 11.12.13 20:28, schrieb Stefan Skoglund:
> Yes i still remember the first SPARCstation +1 with its very nicely
> looking  and with a really crisp b&w screen (bwtwo ?)
Back in the day I used a grey-scale 19" tube on a SPARCstation 1+
with CG6 and a PeeCee running OS/2...

> For pure programming and text they were much nicer than most of current
> era flat panels.
"Most" is important in that sentence. Right at this very moment I am
looking into the "Retina Display" of a MacBook Pro. It has 2880 x 1800
pixels at 220 pixel per inch. It is brighter, crispier and sharper then
any CRT, mono or color, I have ever seen. (I also used ELCs in the early
/ mid 90's.) Even the "normal" 100 dpi LCDs I use at work are better
then the grey-scale tubes of the old days.

Many LCDs do a bad job when they have to display an analog signal. Even
more if the signal is not of there native resolution. I was quite
pleased that my cheap ASUS 27" LCD hapily displayed the RGB + sync on
green signal from my VAXstation 4000.

I really don't miss CRT screens.
--

tsch|_,