[rescue] Looking for an IPX

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Mon Dec 9 00:40:03 CST 2013

On 12/08/2013 08:31 PM, Jay York wrote:
> I did too. I think it had something to do with the CO providing a 2
> wire "U" interface, and the Sun boxes having something like a 4 wire
> "S" or "T" interface. -Jay

Working from memory rather than Google here -- I believe all the ISDN
lines I got from what became NYNEX provided a U loop. Something on prem
could either take that directly, as I believe the Pipeline 75 did. Or
else you'd get a terminal adapter that provided an S/T "loop" for
multiple internal connections, e.g. multiple deskphones, computers, etc.

To my recollection the US telcos did not go our of their way to
acknowledge let alone promote ISDN offerings, or explain why you would
want it. But then you have to admit it's pretty complicated compared to
selling POTS lines, and most of the equipment manufacturers were more
interested in locking business customers into their PBX lines than
dealing with cross-vendor compatibility...

--S.