[rescue] Sun T1000 disk and pcie options

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Oct 15 21:39:20 CDT 2012

Hi folks,

I recently acquired a 6-core Sun T1000 server... it came diskless with
a smattering of memory, a PCIe dual port SCSI card, and an error about
failed mobo SAS controller.

It looks like with the failed onboard drive controller, I'm probably
looking at a PCIe internal controller unless I want to netboot. So I'm
wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a drive controller, and
any info on drive size/type limitations. I have seen (in my brief
googling so far) that some people have used a mix of sata spinning
disk and sata ssd,

I'd also welcome suggestions for OS and version to run on this
critter. I'm guessing I'm SOL on any firmware updates for the system
unless I win the lottery and buy support from O*, But apparently
Ubuntu 10.04 will run on it, so I may not be stuck with an old version
of OpenSolaris after all.

Thanks,
Rob