[rescue] throughput of 10Mbit Ethernet - Re: You see a wild SPARCstation 20. What do?

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Sat Jan 14 21:32:05 CST 2012

On 01/14/2012 10:24 PM, Toby Thain wrote:

> I don't remember it that way. 10B2 could put through at least 3Mbit/sec
> in a protocol like FTP - unless I am experiencing brain-fade.
>
> (I used 10B2 at least through 2004 at home.)

Real world performance for unswitched 10baseT and 10base2 was determined
by the node count.  Large networks were miserable.

I had 10Base2 at home not too many years ago, and yes, performance was
pretty good.  I had three nodes on my network :)

My "real world" throughput on 10baseT comes from sitting on 100+ port
hubs.  I could hit 1 mbps if I was lucky, when the network was quiet.
Normal performance was more like 100 kbps.