[rescue] Open source packages for Solaris

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Feb 23 22:25:31 CST 2012

On 2/23/2012 9:35 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> You didn't state any specifics, but I am assuming that you are using
> Solaris 10 or earlier.

Indeed, 10ish (last version of Express prior to them dropping the old
style packages).

> If you are using Sparc and want to use prebuilt packages, Solaris 11 may
> be the way for you to go, assuming you have the hardware.

Doesn't Solaris 11 require T1 hardware or better?  I don't know too many
people with that sort of machine.

Personally, my top concerns are a v240 and v210

> Is there an application in specific that you are having problems
> compiling that prompted this question?

Well, my specific problem isn't helped by finding a good source of
packages, since my original problem was that I was sulking over not
having nodejs on sparc.  That led to looking for other packages that
weren't well represented on SunFreeware or blastwave (say, up to date
erlang, spidermonkey, and Go), or at least a place establishing a
standard and accepting submissions.