[rescue] Rescued Sun servers, now what?!

Angel M Alganza ama at ugr.es
Mon Feb 20 06:18:38 CST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 07:26:33PM -0500,
Lionel Peterson wrote:

> U10s only have 13W3 connectors hanging off the
> expansion slots. Remove the card, and the U10
> should 'do the right thing' (drive a VGA
> monitor, I'd use a multi sync CRT if possible,
> LCDs can be tricky).

Oh, that's good to know.  All my attempts to get
any video signal out of the VGA port were
unsuccessful, I'll try removing the PCI 13W3 card.

> Remember, serial consoles are supported by
> default when no keyboard is plugged in - with a
> keyboard plugged in, it tries very hard to use
> built-in video console. No keyboard results in a
> brief message on CRT that system is using serial
> port (IIRC).

Would it be possible to use both, the local
console and also the serial terminal
simultaneously?  I guess that'd be a task for the
operating system after it booted 'through' the
built in console, right?

Thanks for all the great information.

Cheers,
Angel

--
Angel Martin Alganza
Departamento de Genetica, Universidad de Granada