[rescue] Rescued Sun servers, now what?!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 18:26:33 CST 2012

U10s only have 13W3 connectors hanging off the expansion slots. Remove the
card, and the U10 should 'do the right thing' (drive a VGA monitor, I'd use a
multi sync CRT if possible, LCDs can be tricky).

If no joy, try a hardware reset on boot (certain key combination that resets
the firmware to defaults).

As for the serial connection, if Ampex decided to mimic the model number, I'm
sure the ports resemble a DEC VT-220 terminal.

Remember, serial consoles are supported by default when no keyboard is plugged
in - with a keyboard plugged in, it tries very hard to use built-in video
console. No keyboard results in a brief message on CRT that system is using
serial port (IIRC).

HTH,

Lionel