[rescue] WTB: Functioning VAX machine (w/ disks or SCSI) in Seattle area

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Mon Feb 20 00:44:56 CST 2012

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:16:41 +0200, Andrew Gaylard <ag at computer.org> wrote:

> While on the topic of vaxen, a colleague at $WORK mentioned to me that
> in his younger days, he worked on a VAX clone made for (by?) the South
> African
> military during the 70s/80s (the period during which US sanctions forbade
> the
> sale of that kind of tech to the country).
>
> Apparently, they were called the "boerevax".
>
> Anyone have any info on this corner of computing history?
>
> (No, I don't want one in my living room, I'm just curious...)

Anecdotally, I have heard that in the early 1980s there was a VAX or
two that got intercepted in Sweden (en route to Russia, the part that
doesn't make any sense!) and these eventually ended up in South
Africa. And yes, Digital did not sell it's machines to apartheid South
Africa.

Although why these machines were en route to Soviet Russia makes less
sense.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--