[rescue] little low-wattage servers

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Mon Feb 6 11:32:58 CST 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Robert Novak <rnovak at indyramp.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Yuri K <apdxyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > They give away a drive with a high failure rate.

<snip>

And as for the integrated raid5, probably not going to happen. It's
> not the right market. Most people I know of with these Microservers
> are using FreeNAS and ZFS, and you don't really want RAID under that.
>
> I would say I'm not ready to buy until they include factory-painted
> racing stripes, but I ordered one (and 8GB of ECC RAM) last week, so
> I'd be lying. :)

Also, how many folks are using hardware raid, at all, these days?  I
discovered several years ago that properly configured software RAID is much
faster, and quite often easier to manage, than hardware RAID.  I have a
whole drawer full of hardware RAID controllers that I no longer use.

Even without ZFS, LVM on top of MD raid (on Linux, or course), is pretty
darned easy.  Only caveat being that you can't boot from RAID-5+, but
that's easily remedied with a RAID-1 /boot.

- Alex