[rescue] little low-wattage servers

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Feb 6 09:43:38 CST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Yuri K <apdxyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> They give away a drive with a high failure rate.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-1068563.html
suggests that some other drive models have been known to have failures
as well. YMMV.

I suspect some level of the failures would be related to using low
power consumer drives in high I/O enterprise environments. I've used
the 2TB drives in Hadoop clusters without unreasonable failure rates,
and I have four ST2000DL003 (from before the price jumps... $70 each
at Microcenter and pricematched at Fry's) drives running in my
ReadyNAS NV+ without issue.

Pretty much if you  name any drive maker, model, speed, or any other
specification, someone has a horror story about it and someone else
has no problems with them. Only real solution, other than the
Kwitchabitchan Manoeuvre, is to buy the kind of hard drive that never
fails. Good luck with that. :)

And as for the integrated raid5, probably not going to happen. It's
not the right market. Most people I know of with these Microservers
are using FreeNAS and ZFS, and you don't really want RAID under that.

I would say I'm not ready to buy until they include factory-painted
racing stripes, but I ordered one (and 8GB of ECC RAM) last week, so
I'd be lying. :)

Rob