[rescue] little low-wattage servers

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Feb 6 04:39:36 CST 2012

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 12:54:59PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> It has two PCI-Express expansion slots (1x and 16x), you can easily buy a $40
> RAID5 controller that would be as good as anything HP would likely solder on
> the mainboard...

Indeed. I know of someone who has an IBM M1015 (rebadged LSI SAS9220) in
one. The fact that HP uses an SFF8087 for the motherboard SATA connection
makes installing a SAS controller even easier :)

> But why wait and limit yourself to what HP chooses to add to a low-cost
> server? I don't think they will, since one of the main buyers of these boxes
> is people that want to run Windows Home Server on it, which last time I looked
> doesn't use hardware RAID...

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if HP ever offer any form of hardware RAID
with the Microserver - they're aimed squarely at the SOHO market.

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner
 mj at mjturner.net      <>     http://mjturner.net/