[rescue] Mobo won't post with new (old) ram stick

Andrew Hoerter amh at POBOX.COM
Wed Dec 19 07:47:01 CST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:22 AM,  <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:

> I'm really baffled, because the pair of 2G RAM sticks I am trying to get
> working in the former 2G box were running for years until today and never
> showed any signs of problems. I was careful to ground myself the whole time
> I was handling the RAM and before touching the sticks.
>
> Any ideas?

At the risk of suggesting the obvious, it might be interesting to run
the questionable memory through memtest86 (installed in the box that
can successfully boot with it installed that is).

BIOS memory tests usually fail to detect problems in my experience, I
can count on one hand the number of times I've seen bad PC memory fail
to POST.  You can run with bad memory for a long time and never
notice, depending on how much load the machine is subjected to.

-Andy