[rescue] Mobo won't post with new (old) ram stick

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed Dec 19 04:22:24 CST 2012

I am making some changes to my office config and I decided to swap RAM
between 2 boxes, one had 4G and the other had 2G. Everything is 2G sticks.

I realize sometimes RAM is matched in pairs so instead of pulling one stick
out of the 4G box I swapped both sticks into the 2G box and put the 2G stick
into the box that used to have 4G. Today when I started this project all
three sticks were known to be good.

I didn't realize it at the time, but the stick are all the same product
number, same brand, same timings, etc., so I really could have just added
one stick.

The former 4G box is running fine with 2G now.

The former 2G box will not post with what appears now to be a questionable
2G stick. I swapped the RAM into various slots and it looks to me that
whenever the questionable stick of RAM is in either slot, the box will not
post. I didn't go as far as to try the working stick in the other slot
because the doc on the mobo says to use DIMM1 first. I tried clearing CMOS
by setting the jumper and this had no effect on posting, the box still won't
post.

Does a bad ram stick usually/often/ever cause a box not to post?

I'm really baffled, because the pair of 2G RAM sticks I am trying to get
working in the former 2G box were running for years until today and never
showed any signs of problems. I was careful to ground myself the whole time
I was handling the RAM and before touching the sticks.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

--