[rescue] Wanted: SparcStation 20 and/or Parts

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Tue Nov 22 12:56:37 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
> At one point I cobbled together a 'pimped-out' SS/20, maxing out the system as
> best I could, to the extent I think I had the elusive 2nd VSIMM daughter card
> that occupied an SBUS slot. I'm away from my stash this week, but I'll happily
> see what I can find at the beginning of next week - ping me on Monday/Tuesday
> as a reminder and I'll see what I can lay my hands on...
>
> In exchange, I'll only ask for actual shipping from NJ and why you are so
> interested in the SS/20 in particular.

Heh...well, the reason is that, when I was working my first SA job, we
got a couple of then-brand-new SS20s (dual SM51s), and I was one of
the admins who managed them.  When we unpacked them, we discovered
that the machines were accidentally ordered with 512mb RAM, each,
rather than 512mb across all of the machines.  IIRC, at the time, it
was ~$20,000 worth of RAM!

Anyway, the machines were extremely fast, and very reliable, over
their lifetime.  So, I remember them very fondly.

This particular SS20, I have owned since 1999.  It's served me well in
a variety of roles, and been loaned to a friend, and recently
returned.  It deserves to be upgraded to the max, before parts are no
longer available.

- Alex