[rescue] 3ware raid

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Jul 27 00:13:23 CDT 2011

Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> hopefully with the broad range of experience on the group someone
>> will have seen
>> this before and can save this card from becoming gold scrap....
>
> While I haven't encountered that exact issue, I've dealt with their
> cards. Lots of them.
>
> Is it a PCI, PCI-X, PCI 64, etc? Which card? Is it in the right type
> of slot?
PCI-X 133

> Do you have another computer you can test the card in? To make sure
> it's not some sort of 3ware+bios versus motherboard bios issue?
actually if I removed the battery backup board, I was able to get the
system to post.
I'll try re-adding it tomorrow night.

> I assume the writing of the flash worked all the way?

yes
> What if you disconnect all of the drives? Will it boot then?
no

> If so, downgrade firmware?

tough to do when the system wouldn't post to boot dos to run the flasher....

> Can you set the PC motherboard to boot from another drive first, and
> not the SCSI/add in? If so, will that get you the ability to downgrade
> firmware?

no... couldn't post into BIOS

I started flashing, as Linux is not seeing this raid controller.  I
tried it on the same
hardware with Windows 7 and it had worked fine.  looks like the 3w-9xxx
driver
in Linux is not working with this card.

Going to work to get the array (which contained no data) back up with
the card and
battery backup module.  If I get in, then I'm going to build a new .ko
module with
source from LSI.

Maybe that will get this card seen.

I have to say I'm pretty shocked the drivers that come with CentOS 6.0
doesn't see it.

oddly, I don't see the card in an lspci output... I'd think even w/o the
driver loaded
shouldn't lspci see all cards ?

Hope this isn't getting too off the rescue topic (trying to rescue and
make use of
the card, but it is not all that old :-) ).

-- Curt