[rescue] test

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Jan 6 23:08:44 CST 2011

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 06:00:53PM -0500, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> bill - would it make sense to get a static-ip dsl as alternate/backup
> for the cable?  i imagine fiber isn't available or you'd have gotten
> it.

I actually just *cancelled* my UVerse connection (well, once my phone
number gets ported to my VoIP provider).  The way AT&T wanted to do
"static IPs" was 1:1 NAT through the crappy 2Wire gateway box.

Comcast basically configures their box as a straight bridge and hands me a
list of IPs and an Ethernet port, which is what I wanted.  I run my own
DNS and everything else, all I want is transit/connectivity.

Even if I could get reasonable statics from AT&T, I don't have downtime
often enough to make it worth it, *and* I don't have portable IPs that
would work with the other connection anyway.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas