[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jan 5 12:17:23 CST 2011

On Wednesday, January 05, 2011, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Of course, there's also the point that the last time I looked at the
> Linux knfsd, its configuration ability was limited to "You can give
> it a list of shares to export.  Who needs more configuration than
> that?"

How long ago was that?

I can't remember a time when I was using the kernel NFS server when you
couldn't set options on exports.

It's amusing to me when people say "Linux is horribly broken! I last
used it 15 years ago and it didn't do $x correctly." or "I want to do
$crazything with the kernel, and it doesn't work right!".

For way over 99% of people Linux does a great job of what they want.
Every time I try to use other OSes at this point, I find features that
I'm used to on Linux (eg, an ability to do backspace probably out of the
box, no GNU extensions to system tools, I can configure it using vim,
vim doesn't work right, etc, or the package manager blows compared to
apt) that are missing.

Pat