[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jan 5 02:56:24 CST 2011

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:52:21 -0500
Mark Kahrs <mark.kahrs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm now contemplating what to do about my v240 when I get some drives
> for it.  My inclination is to go for NetBSD since I've read they
> support SMP.
NetBSD supports SMP and the V240. But you need to run -current to get
V240 / US III(i) support. Unfortunately there is a problem with the
US IIIi support. The machine randomly crashes, but runs stable if you
disable all but one CPU shortly after bootup. This is a US IIIi
speciffic bug that does not happen on US III or US II CPUs.

> While I agree, the package stuff for NetBSD is not nearly as nice as,
> say, apt-get, it can still get you where you want / need to go.
The problem is quite simple: NetBSD has a litle over 200 active
developers. How many developers contribute to Debian? Probably 10 times
more...
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}