[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 98, Issue 8

Scott Quinn saquinn624 at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 00:23:38 CST 2011

Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM writes:

>It's an interesting marketing move because until Wayland and Unity become
>100% X and Gnome compatible, developers will have to choose between a
version
>that works on Ubuntu and a version that works on other Linux systems, or
>both as separate "products".

It's Linux. Every project will use their own pet systems and they'll be
completely taken aback when somebody complains about having to install 25
different library sets/servers/whatever to fill the requirements of the
programs they want/need to use. Especially when they release incompatible
versions of the libraries/servers/whatever so you have to install 3 different
versions of the 25 different library sets/servers/whatever...

I must say that replacing X11 with a better designed core setup and a
compatibility layer for when you need it sounds like a great idea, but when
one of the projects first goals seems to be getting Compiz running I become
very suspicious. Also dismissing networkability as not being very important
raises flags. Come on, people - Microsoft has even realized the importance of
network display, and Linux claims to be a server product. True you shouldn't
have to, and the text console should be able to do everything, but there are
times when graphics are nice. Especially when you're working on graphics stuff
- you can put the loud, powerful machine in a different room and run a
networked workstation as your head.