[rescue] Imaging Solaris 2.5 without SCSI devices

Patrick Giagnocavo xemacs5 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 12:36:54 CST 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Ray Arachelian <ray at arachelian.com> wrote:
> On 12/06/2011 01:10 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> Have to be careful with flarchive however.  I created a flash archive
>> and then had to set up a netboot/JumpStart environment in order to
>> restore a ZFS-root system onto a VM.
>>

> Although flars aren't comple, they're simply a header + a CPIO archive.
> You can't just use CPIO to restore a whole system, but you can at least
> extract most of the stuff out of the flar.
> Of course to split the flar, you'll need 2x the space, which can get huge.

However, this is not the case with ZFS flars, they have the ZFS
datastream.  Since the default ZFS pool names are the same, it will
then try to load rpool/ onto your rpool.  You will not lose data, but
will be unable to access most of what you care about.  Really it is a
screwup on Snoracle's part to change the behavior this way.

--Patrick