[rescue] AT&T 3B2

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Dec 4 20:47:12 CST 2011

" From: John Floren <john at jfloren.net>
"
" On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
" > " From: John Floren <john at jfloren.net>
" > "
" > " I'm always on the lookout for one of those too... and/or a Blit
" > " terminal aka the DMD 5620. Unfortunately I don't think I've ever seen
" > " either available.
" >
" > ah, nostalgia...  3b2s were my first prof sysadm job.
" >
" > and, not that i have one, but would you take a 630 or 730 [rom
" > upgrade] mtg instead of a 5620?  much more powerful.
" >
" > i had one on my desk, with the expansion port option, acting as console
" > to 2 3b2/600s and running layers on a vax on the 3rd port.
" > ________________________________________________________________________
" > Andrew Hay                                  the genius nature
"
" A 630 or 730 would also be awesome--I just love old terminals in
" general. I didn't know layers could run on a VAX, I guess I always
" thought the Blit and the 3b2 were too closely tied.

the 3b2s were our group's own, but our comp ctr had a variety of
bigger 3bs, vaxen, and an amdahl which ran 2 virtual machines [even in
those days!] and they all ran att sV, which included layers at least
as an optional pkg - but we could get it just by asking, from another
internal division.  i got ksh src that way.