[rescue] SunOS/SS2 Revitalization (Was: Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks)

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Aug 24 18:54:12 CDT 2011

" From: "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks at mac.com>
"
" On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
" wrote:
" > " there's even progs out there that will probe-scsi and [almost] make
" > " one for you.  and there's a massive canonical format.dat which
" > " probably already has the entry you need, on the net somewhere too.
" >
" > forgot to add: joerg schilling's sformat, which compiles/runs on
" > sunos4 and autodetects disk geometry.
"
" Out of curiosity, what was the last update to SunOS 4.1.x?  4.1.4U1?

4.1.4, no u1 afaik.  btw 4.1.4 supports dual supersparcs in ss20s, not
just hypersparcs.  back in '95 i had 2 machines running heavy loads
for 3 months without a crash.

" That's the last version that I recall.  I should install that on my
" SS2, if I can find a copy, somewhere.
"
" I was looking for a PowerUP for the SS2, last time I used it.  I'd
" still love to track one of those down, along with an SBus memory
" board.

where are you?  i have a ss2 with p/up and memcd i'm not gonna use
again.  knowing at least 2 ss2 clones ran at 50MHz vs the ss2's 40, i
was planning to mod it and see when i mothballed it, even got the
parts...  stripped of drives and video but otherwise complete.